Thursday, June 7, 2007

Ballona Wetlands Artists WalkI am really behind with writing this blog, too many things going on, both unexpected and planned. It always seems like the less I try to do, the busier I get. Unfortunately, the opposite is not true!
Tuesday afternoon, May 29, a group of artists and environmental leaders met at Titmouse Park in Playa del Rey for a walkabout in the Saltwater Ballona Wetlands. I have previously walked through the Freshwater Marsh at Culver and Lincoln (including the areas behind the fence that the general public does not get to see) so I was curious to see what the Saltwater counterpart looked like. This area is pretty much "au naturel" in comparison to the Freshwater, part of which has been landscaped and planted.
I was able to get some good shots of cottonwood trees, lupins and other bushes and plants which I'll use for future tile designs in my Ballona Wetlands Series. As we walked around to the Ballona Creek side, we could see many White Egrets and Great Blue Herons in their habitat. There is nothing like seeing these graceful five-foot birds swoop through the air. I got a couple of good heron shots as they were wading and dipping in the water.
Like the bus trip I took a few weeks ago through the auspices of the Ballona Network, this was another attempt to motivate artists to contribute to the auction September 9. If you are an artist, and would like to use your creative talents to help with the "greening" of Los Angeles, contact Jeanette Vosburg at jeanette.vosburg@ballonanetwork.org. You can also take a look at the art gallery from last year's auction. Happy creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment