Thursday, October 4, 2007

Grand Bazaar Istanbul

Obviously it's been a while since I posted to my blog. Mostly that's because I was out of the country visiting London, Greece and Turkey. And as soon as I returned home I came down with this fuzzy-brained virus and cough that will not let go of me. However, after nearly two weeks of unmentionable stuff oozing from my body, I am now feeling halfway human and able to resume some of my normal functions. But it's going to take me months to catch up with all the art and archaeology-related stuff that has taken place in my life in the past few weeks. So bear with me!

Just as an appetizer, here are the two hand-painted tiles I bought at the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul, Turkey. There were lots of tiles on my trip, but mostly touristy stuff that did not appeal to me. But these caught my eye, and other than the Grand Bazaar I did not see anything that I liked as much as these, so I was glad I bought them when I had the opportunity.
So, among other things that I learned and experienced on this trip, I fell in love with the Iznik style of tiles and pottery. Just what I needed, one more thing to be passionate about! Of course, I have seen this style of ceramic painting many times before but for some reason I was not ready for it. However, starting with the Victoria and Albert Museum in London which has a brilliant collection, I couldn't help myself from falling head over heels.

(Photos copyright roslyn m wilkins)

1 comment:

  1. Nice choice of tiles! Glad you posted them, they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete