Saturday, March 1, 2008

Mosaic of Memories

I was wondering what to do with all those tiles I painted some years ago when I first started out hand-painting tiles. I recently took a class taught by Carole Free (a wonderful instructor) at UCLA Extension on the art of making mosaics. For a couple of classes I was stuck as I couldn't decide which direction to take as I had so many ideas.
Probably the only thing worse than having no ideas (never my problem in any situation) is having too many (which is why I've never been able to focus my life on any one path). About a year ago I broke up some of my tiles but then didn't know what to do with them, so they sat in a bag on the floor just waiting for the right moment.
Happily, the right moment arrived! I had previously bought a framed mirror which I had intended to use to hold ten 6" tiles, probably with a Ballona Wetlands scene, but I couldn't quite get motivated to paint the tiles.
So everything came together, as these things do.
Now I have to figure out how and where to hang it as it is so heavy and I don't want it crashing down in the next quake.

(Photo and artwork copyright roslyn m wilkins)

1 comment: