Sunday, August 17, 2008

Max Ernst, I Hardly Knew Ye
Since I fell down the stairs and sprained my knees almost three weeks ago, I've had some time to watch a lot of NetFlix movies and read books. Although not one to enjoy sedentary activities (is that an oxymoron?), it has been forced upon me to some small degree. As it was necessary to do some serious sofa time one afternoon I popped the "Max Ernst" DVD in the machine and prepared myself to take a nap. Ernst was always one of those painters on the periphery of my consciousness who I never bothered to be interested in. To tell the truth, the first time I did fall asleep in the first half hour, but as my knees needed to be rooted to the spot for a while I decided to try again. Second time the charm. Fully awake, I was intrigued from the get go. Not only did I find myself admiring his artwork, but the man himself led a hugely interesting life on two continents with the requisite array of beautiful and intelligent women falling in love with him. Had I been around at the time I might have done the same (not tooting my own horn as beautiful or intelligent, just for the record!). How did this artist manage to escape my attention all these years? Probably because I put him in the same class as Magritte, an artist who I know had an important influence on the art scene but gives me no or little emotional satisfaction. Not so with Ernst. I was immediately drawn to his work in a decidedly non-cerebral way. The same feeling I get when standing in front of a Van Gogh or one of Hockney's portraits.... it's a very personal experience. I admit, knowing the stories and influences behind the paintings helped my appreciation. Especially his love of the American Southwest which I now clearly see in many of his paintings. Nevertheless, that doesn't always work for me so there has to be something else.
I managed to restrain myself for 24 hours but then I researched all the Max Ernst books on Amazon and decided on "Max Ernst, A Retrospective" published by the Metropolitan Museum of Art in conjunction with the 2005 exhibit. Wish I'd been there! This has been my bedtime reading the past few nights. Of course, I can't say I absolutely love every single image in the book, some of his paintings I can't relate to at all. But some I didn't like the first time around are now beginning to grow on me! I like the fact that his work is quite varied. And as he said, "A painter is lost if he finds himself."

4 comments:

  1. Hope your knees get better soon. Can't see you relating to this artis's works. Reminds me of Dante's inferno. Is he painting around that same time period?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knees are a bummer but keeping me housebound so I can work on my blog!
    I just looked up Dante's Inferno and apparently that was written between 1308 and 1321 so not quite the same time frame. Some of his work is quite horrific as he was painting from his own experience in Germany and France during the two world wars as a soldier in the trenches and as a prisoner. On his experience as a soldier he said he had died and been resurrected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about your knee!

    Max Ernst is wonderful. I wonder if looking at his work before sleep is giving you great dreams. I like Robing of the Bride and Of This Men Shall Know Nothing. Can't say why.

    I wish you a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes those "can't say why's" are the best parts of our lives!

    Not sure my repertoire of dreams has changed, but of course everything in my life has some influence. Since as early as I can recollect I've been either blessed or cursed with extremely intense "surreal" nightmares that seem more "real" than my waking hours. So Max Ernst would certainly fit right in!!!!

    ReplyDelete