Thursday, November 12, 2009

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall, What is the Fairest Bird of All?

I can't really answer that as I love all the birds (and animals, insects, and plants) of the Ballona Wetlands. My Wetlands tile paintings aren't strictly about the Ballona Wetlands and the creatures and plants I draw and paint would not hold up in any scientific textbook. My paintbrush does its best to translate what is being transmitted from my brain, and that's all I can say about it. But I enjoy painting what I call "My Ballona Wetlands Series."

This mirror has been gestating for probably three years. I could see it in my head but I couldn't get it on to paper, let alone tile. I did complete one design in Photoshop—could have been a couple of years ago—but I didn't like it. In the meantime I took a mosaic class at UCLA and decided I wanted to use the frame for that. So I ordered another frame and after a few months took another stab at a different design. I still didn't like it so another few months went by.

Then I decided to draw the design on the ten tiles just to see what it would look like. Hmmm... not really sure so I packed everything up and put it away. Another few months went by.

I thought, well, maybe I should paint one or two of the colors and then decide as I could always wash off the tiles and start over. So I did, lost all motivation after painting two or three colors, and packed everything up again.

With the mirror kicking around in my head and feeling guilty about not working on it, I was unable to work on any other tile projects. So a few weeks ago I realized, come hell or high water, regardless of whether or not I liked the design, I HAD to finish painting the tiles or I would never be able to work on another tile project for the rest of my life!

So with the Culver City Holiday Art Show coming up on Saturday I forced myself to finish the painting. As it moved along I began to halfway like it. Of course, with ceramic glaze you can't see the real colors until after firing. So I held my breath until the morning I removed the tiles from the kiln.

Then I started breathing again. They looked okay. And when I placed the tiles in the mirror frame, the whole thing sprang to life and I am rather pleased with the end result. If I had to do it over again would I do things differently? Absolutely yes. I see all kinds of stupid mistakes and glitches. But I know they are there and maybe nobody else will notice.

Anyway, the main point is the mirror is finished and now I can move on with my life!
(Mirror is approximately 20" wide x 26" high.)

(Photo and design copyright roslyn m wilkins)

4 comments:

  1. I should hope you are pleased - it's gorgeous. I think it strikes a beautiful balance of color and content.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katherine, I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful. I love that the more you look at it the more you see. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Stella... and I look forward to seeing some of your new artwork SOON!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete