Tuesday, July 31, 2012

A visit to the Getty centered on flowers

Copyright J. Paul Getty Museum
Ten members of the Culver City Art Group visited the Getty Center this past Saturday in order to view Gustav Klimt: The Magic of Line, the first exhibit solely dedicated to the drawings of Gustav Klimt who lived from 1862–1918.

I love Klimt’s magical masterpieces such as The Kiss, which I had the privilege of seeing at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art before it was kidnapped by a private collector.

Looking at the drawings and sketches that preceded his paintings made me realize how much hard work went into the final product. It’s easy to think of an artist just sitting down and painting and… voila… there is the finished piece. But there is a lot of groundwork that goes on beforehand.
There is a great video about why drawing was so important to Klimt. Click here to view it.

We all enjoyed a docent tour of the exhibit then walked through again on our own.

But it was such a gorgeous day that although there were other exhibits I would have liked to see, I could not stay inside the galleries.  


So I trotted on down to the central garden. I walked, sat, people watched and took photos.



As a regular visitor to the Getty Center I have a million photos of the place. So on this visit I decided to get some shots of flowers in the garden.






(Photos copyright roslyn m wilkins)

1 comment:

  1. Funnily enough, I saw The Kiss the other day on BBC4 programme "The Three Colours of Art" and the programme was about Gold.

    I like the actual faces in "The Kiss" best of all, although apparently, Klimt was really hooked on the gold.

    ReplyDelete