Monday, April 28, 2008

It's Contemporary. It's Art. And....
...it's fun!
Lest you should believe from recent postings I do not appreciate "contemporary art" I am happy to bring glad tidings. It was a balmy Culver City evening this past Saturday as BG and I devoured a scrumptious dinner at Tender Greens, proving that while Culver City has recently been invaded by trendy, expensive restaurants, there is at least one trendy, reasonably-priced restaurant in their midst. I've eaten there numerous times and never been disappointed. I always order the tuna ahi plate but next time I promise to be more adventurous. Oh, and as this blog is about art, I should say that the plate is definitely a piece of artwork. And all for ten bucks!
As it was a truly pleasant evening weather-wise we decided to walk the 1.5 miles along Washington Boulevard to the Corey Helford Gallery which was hosting an opening evening reception for "Vanity Bonfire," works by Sean Christopher. Now, I don't "get" a lot of contemporary art as those of you following my blog know by now. But I do expect it to be artistic, imaginative, creative and thoughtful. Christopher's art falls into all four categories. Do I get it? Not really. Do I love it? Not really. Would I buy it if I had the money? Not at all. But do I respect it? Yes. Do I call it art? Most definitely. But is it "good?" I don't have a clue and I don't care.
If I can remember the artist's statement that I read at the exhibit, he says he is juxtaposing elements you would not normally see together: matchsticks, shoes, cherries... so you are surprised when you see them. The gallery describes his work as "a world of hidden meanings, symbols and metaphors." I would describe it as intriguing. I don't understand it but it makes me think about what is going through the artist's mind when he is putting this all together.
And as BG remarked, the Corey Helford always puts on a good show. For this reception each table in the hosted bar area was decked out with a decorated shoe.
Altogether, a nice evening in our little ole town!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the kind words. As you know, Art is subjective. The meanings are different for anybody willing to engage it (and you did)! Thanks for coming with an open mind, a keen eye, and wonderful observations.
    Bets,
    Sean Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words. As you know, Art is subjective. The meanings are different for anybody willing to engage it (and you did)! Thanks for coming with an open mind, a keen eye, and wonderful observations.
    All the Best,
    Sean Christopher

    ReplyDelete