Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Going, Going.... Almost Gone
Saturday, May 10, GZ and I serendipitously happened upon the California Art Club's 97th Annual Gold Medal Juried Exhibition. This is running until May 18 at the Pasadena Museum of California Art.
We were leaving the Pacific Asia Museum when I noticed the "Art Museum" sign on the top of a building down the street. Let's see what it is! And that's how we stumbled upon the exhibition. I've seen the Art Club's shows at other locations in the past. The PMCA is a lovely gallery, ideal for an exhibit such as this.
I enjoyed the exhibit immensely. Several paintings I would have taken home with me (except for the prices, of course). I was surprised, and happy, to see so many sold tags on the paintings. I didn't see anything that absolutely knocked my socks off for originality, but there is nothing wrong with good, solid work. Of course, you would expect that I disagreed with some of the choices for awarding prizes, but that also means I did agree with a few!
I have to admit I have an affinity for seascapes, or anything with water in it... lakes, rivers, waterfalls. But a couple of landscapes caught my eye too.
If you happen to be in the neighborhood, I would recommend stopping by the PMCA before May 18 to catch this show. And, if you are a KCRW member as I am, you get a 50% discount!
As for the Pacific Asia Museum which was the purpose of our trip, we happened to arrive as they were having a free Family Festival: The Arts of the Pacific Islands (with free parking too) celebrating Pacific cultures and the opening of the new exhibition Pacifika: Young Perspectives on Pacific Island Art. As we were touring the galleries we enjoyed listening to live music of Samoa, Fiji, Hawaii, New Zealand and Tahiti with traditional dancing. It must be 15 years since I last visited this museum and it was a very pleasant afternoon.
(Photo copyright roslyn m wilkins)

No comments:

Post a Comment