Sunday, September 14, 2008

Magical Night in Malibu The first thing you notice when turning off Pacific Coast Highway into the Pepperdine University Campus is the wave of US flags on Alumni Park paying tribute to the 2,977 lives lost in the September 11 attacks seven years ago.
We attended the reception for the opening of Carolyn Mary Kleefeld: Visions from Big Sur in the Frederick R. Weisman Museum of Art, a very nice gallery space which I have never visited before.
Although I liked many of the pieces in the exhibit, I felt most attuned to the ink drawings (listed under "pastels" and "colored pens" on her website). Sometimes I can visit a gallery with all kinds of good intentions to be receptive to the artwork but I end up wondering what in the world I am doing there. But this time I was suitably impressed and felt a definite connection with the art on display.
The mood was enhanced by the excellent guitarist pictured in the corner of the photo.
The exhibit runs from September 13 - December 14, 2008. Frederick R. Weisman Museum of Art, Pepperdine University, 24255 Pacific Coast Highway, Malibu, CA 90263. General information: (310) 506-4851.
(Photo is copyright roslyn m wilkins)

No comments:

Post a Comment