Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Three Unexpected Visitors

For about two years now I've had a vision of painting ten Ballona Wetlands tiles to surround a mirror. I've had many starts and stops. One stop was when I used the mirror frame to make my "Mosaic of Memories" a year ago.

So I bought another frame and it has sat propped up against the back of the sofa for the past year. I see it every day, and every day I say, I MUST work on that! I don't know how many times I've started the layout in Photoshop. Several months ago I decided I had actually figured out the design and I could get started with the painting. Four months later... nothing.

Monday I jumped out of bed knowing I couldn't let it go any longer. I finished up the composition in Photoshop and printed out the ten templates, one for each 6" x 6" tile. Today I dragged the tiles out of the garage and laid them out on the table. It was so gorgeous outside I decided to eat my lunch up on the roof deck. I saw a fleck of white out of the corner of my eye. When I looked up I thought I was hallucinating.

Three huge white birds were standing on top of the tallest tree in the neighborhood. I ran for my binoculars and realized I was looking at three fully grown Great (White) Egrets! Wowee! I grabbed my camera and was able to get a few photos but not much detail, as you can see. I picked this photo so you can see the rooftops and judge how high the tree is.

It was too much of a coincidence that this was the day I was finally drawing the outlines of the Great Egrets and Great Blue Herons on the tiles. I took it as a sign from Alice, Artist, Goddess of Nature, that this was how I was supposed to be spending my time this week, despite all the other pressing (and depressing) things I should be doing.

These birds can stand over three feet high with wing spans of four and a half feet. They are distinguished from the smaller Snowy Egrets by their yellow bills.

As I was watching, one of the birds flew gracefully over to a lower tree. They stood preening themselves with the breeze ruffling their feathers for at least half an hour. I was reluctant to leave but I had to come indoors to continue drawing the egrets on the tiles.

This was a once in a lifetime experience that I won't forget.

(photo copyright roslyn m wilkins)

No comments:

Post a Comment