Thursday, April 16, 2009

Beauty
I've been busy working on the PR for the "Postcards from Ballona" mural restoration. But the worst is over now so I was anxious to get back to this blog.
For a long time now I have wanted to clear everything out of my house and start over. I mean everything. But right now I'm not in a position to replace all my worldly possessions. So I'm doing the mini version.
Yesterday I cleared all my cookbooks off the shelves... I have well over one hundred... and I never look at them. They are not living up to their potential... they belong in a kitchen where they will be used. Now the cookbooks are gone, I can dispose of the bookshelf that is really in the way.
I've now started on the living room... the VCR and all my old VHS tapes (all my Richard Simmons tapes have been replaced with DVDs anyway)... books that I've never read... knick knacks, bric-a-brac, all those "dust-catchers" I've harbored over the years... all relocated to the garage. I'm getting to the upstairs tomorrow.
The only decision left is yard sale or thrift store? I've checked out selling some stuff on e-bay but is it really worth the effort?
Throwing note cards in the recycling pile I came across this quotation:
"Beauty, which is what is meant by art, using the word in its widest sense, is, I contend, no mere accident to human life, which people can take or leave as they choose, but a positive necessity of life, if we are to live as nature meant us to; that is, unless we are content to be less than men."
~William Morris, 19 February 1880
Don't you wish we still wrote in that kind of language?

No comments:

Post a Comment