Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Feast of ArtSaturday night the Culver City Art Group gathered at my place for our annual Holiday Potluck. We usually do this in December but last month it seemed all the members (including me) had other things going on so we rescheduled for January. I kept all my Christmas lights and decorations up a little longer to accommodate the party. This turned out to be a super idea as around twenty five people showed up including guests of members.
The great food included spicy jambalaya to turkey meatballs to chicken wings to tasty salads to bread straight out of the oven to cheese and crackers to homemade and homegrown guacamole to cup cakes to cookies to chocolatey things—well, you get the idea! Along with the goodies we asked members to bring a piece of their own artwork or something that someone else had created to briefly comment on. This turned out really well as personally I enjoyed all of the short talks. At our regular meetings we have mini-shows where each artist brings a piece to be voted on but we don’t get to hear the story behind it.

My cat Friday did his usual job of greeting everybody at the door. At one point he escaped outside and was welcoming all the guests out on the sidewalk. That cat loves people and he goes to great lengths to make sure they love him back!

In attendance were some new members which is a great way to make their acquaintance and for them to meet the regular gang on a more personal level.
Some of us were discussing that as creative types we sometimes have uneasiness about dealing with large groups of people and are more comfortable with one-on-one situations. I have to put my hand up there! I find all the vibes from parties such as this one almost overwhelming but I have learned to take each person on an individual basis—and the people who are attracted to our group are exceptionally comfortable to be around. So, if you are an artistic anthropophobic you will be very welcome!
One of the most rewarding facets of my life is being a member of the Culver City Art Group. We have activities such as gallery and museum visits, general meetings with mini-shows, art demonstrations, an annual art exhibit, and our famous Holiday Potluck. I have made some wonderful friends of members past and present. If you are already a member, tell all your friends. If not, why not join us now?
(all photos are copyright roslyn m wilkins and all artwork copyright the respective artists)

3 comments:

  1. Roslyn! This post made me miss CCART, bigtime!! You were always a fantastic host. It really is such a worthwhile group, especially for the a-social arty types. Wish I could find a group like it in Cleveland. (: Glad you had fun, thanks a bunch for posting pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish you coulda been there...
    Perhaps we should consider opening a branch of the Culver City Art Group in Cleveland!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there!
    I would like to burn a theme at here. There is such a nicey, called HYIP, or High Yield Investment Program. It reminds of ponzy-like structure, but in rare cases one may happen to meet a company that really pays up to 2% daily not on invested money, but from real profits.

    For several years , I earn money with the help of these programs.
    I'm with no money problems now, but there are heights that must be conquered . I get now up to 2G a day , and I started with funny 500 bucks.
    Right now, I'm very close at catching at last a guaranteed variant to make a sharp rise . Turn to my blog to get additional info.

    http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

    ReplyDelete