Monday, January 25, 2010

The Sun King Tile, Maybe...
The 11th Annual Los Angeles Pottery Show has now been and gone at the Convention Center in Pasadena, California. Two friends and I drove out from our respective parts of town on Saturday, January 23 and met up at the show. As it had been raining all week the views of the snow on the mountains on the drive out to Pasadena were breathtaking. I don’t recall seeing so much snow on such an extended area in all the time I have been living here. But then my memory for that kind of thing is admittedly short. Nevertheless, it was a sight to behold.

And the Pottery Show was a sight to behold too, in its own unique way. Over one hundred dealers were represented selling diverse items such as sixties dinnerware to figurines made in occupied Japan to vintage Batchelder tiles to contemporary ceramic art. It was an interesting mix. Porcelain poodles and ash trays in the shape of eye glasses that I normally would not give a second glance seemed fascinating in that venue.

Most of the pieces were California-made, or at least of US origin. Of course, I was hoping for a collection of Minton tiles to jump out at me, but that didn’t happen. I believe there was one Minton tile although the name “Stoke” stamped on the reverse was barely visible. However, not a tile I would have purchased anyway.

One tile did attract my attention. (Image above.) I walked away and came back to it several times. I was fascinated by the design. When I saw it at the show I thought it was a Neptune motif surrounded by stylized dolphins. The vendor told me it was probably from the early 1800s but I doubt that. I would attribute it to the Victorian period. But I have no idea who the maker is. Nevertheless while we were eating lunch I decided if I didn’t purchase the tile I would regret that decision more than the decision to buy it.

So now it is in my possession. After studying it a little more closely I realize the design has nothing to do with Neptune. I believe (but am not positive) it is symbolic of one of the Dauphins of France (mostly from the 1400s to the 1700s). Kings Louis XI through Louis XVI were given the title of Dauphin while they were in line to receive the crown. The disembodied head in the center of the tile may represent Louis XIV, as he was known as the Sun King, and that title would explain the rays emanating from his head. I am not sure of the significance of the wings, the basket of fruit, or the dragons. I’ll have to do some more research on those symbols. The dolphins, fleur-de-lis, and stylized shells are fairly obvious.
The more I study the tile the more confident I feel that it does indeed depict King Louis XIV. I wish I knew who made the tile and why it was made. There are no maker symbols on the reverse, just the grid pattern, presumably to hold the tile in place on a wall. Yet there are holes drilled into the back as if the tile was used as a trivet (although they would surely be more evenly distributed if that was the case), or perhaps to hold the tile on a wall where it could not be glued properly—ah, who knows?

As you can imagine, I am intrigued by this tile and cannot just walk away from its mystery. I will be keeping an eye open for more information as time goes by, but for now I must move on to other things. If anybody out there can help me read the symbols I would be grateful.
(Photos copyright roslyn m wilkins)

No comments:

Post a Comment