Sunday, January 14, 2007


Saturday, January 6, I visited the California Heritage Museum in Santa Monica, CA. Although this is just a short drive from my house, I have been procrastinating for years! Currently they are showing "D&M Tile, Hispano-Moresque Tile" -- California Tile - Focus Series, June 10, 2006 - May 20, 2007. After seeing this display I was really mad at myself for not making the effort to see their previous tile exhibits (especially Batcheldor). I own the two-book set published by this museum, "California Tile, The Golden Era 1910-1940." Beautiful and informative, discussing all the ceramic tile factories up and down the state during that period. The tile shown here is from the Hispano Moresque chapter. Their website which is continually and woefully out of date, is at http://www.californiaheritagemuseum.org/. I arrived around opening time and pretty much had the docent to myself. She was extremely friendly and informative. Apparently the first Saturday of every June they have a tile sale. Dealers come from all over and hundreds of people show up for this event on the lawn. I'll see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment