Sunday, April 15, 2007

Pillow Talk: Small Comforts In Hard Times

I have known Linda Jacobson since the late 80s/early 90s when I felt the need to return to making art after an abstinence of over 20 years. I took several of her courses at UCLA on creativity and spirituality in art. At the time I didn't have a clue what "spirituality in art" meant, but after many years, I do have a tiny clue.

Last night a couple of friends and I attended the reception for Pillow Talk at the Ruth Bachofner Gallery at Bergamot Station Art Center in Santa Monica where Linda is exhibiting a painting. From the press release: "The term “pillow talk” refers to a private, often intimate, conversation. Much of art is a form of pillow talk – an intimate dialogue between the artist, the materials and the intent/concept of the work. This intimate conversation is then sold as a product. The private becomes public. “Pillow Talk” is in conjunction with the Southern California Women’s Caucus for Art’s celebration of the significant influence of women artists on contemporary art."

Or, as Linda put it: "How we as women and artists comfort ourselves in these difficult times."

As I have stated on many occasions, I feel the purpose of viewing art is not necessarily to like what you are looking at. It is always amazing to me the variety of thought and creativity that comes out of different artists' visions of a singular subject. Some of the artists took the subject literally and created interpretations of pillows, others, anything but. I can't say there were many pieces that grabbed my attention. Nothing to which I had an emotional response. I liked Linda's contribution, "Sacred Altar," which is by the front door of the gallery and probably my favorite piece in the exhibit. Maybe because I am familiar with her work and therefore, in my comfort zone. As with all her paintings, it is "Other-worldly." Ah, I've said that about Katherine Kean's work too, but I identify with that. Their work is totally different, yet I make that connection between them, which I will call the physical manifestation of the spiritual.

There were 87 artists in the exhibit which may have been a mistake. If each artist invited ten friends... well, you get the picture. It was SO crowded and SO noisy, I did one spin around the room and left the cacaphonous gallery for the peace and fresh air outside. I don't do well in crowded situations anymore. Perhaps if I went back another day with an empty room I might view the exhibit in an entirely different way. But I won't have that luxury, so this is my memory.

We wandered over to the Track 16 Gallery. I was interested by the work exhibited by Mondongo, an Argentinian art trio, comprised of Agustina Picasso, Manuel Mendanha, and Juliana Laffitte. The best pieces were the Red Riding Hood tales which looked like mosaics but, as it was pointed out to me, were actually made with plasticine, one of my favorite play things as a child. I am always fascinated when artists use materials I would never think of using to make art. All those hours, days and weeks I spent molding objects with plasticene... I should have taken photos of my creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment