Sunday, January 11, 2009

Evening's Light Not Yet Gone
Yesterday I was watching a documentary on Georgia O'Keeffe. I enjoy renting artists' biographies from NetFlix, both artists I have never heard of before or don't know much about, and artists whose work I am very familiar with, as there is always something new to learn. For instance, I knew O'Keeffe's eyesight was failing, but I didn't realize she had no central vision, only peripheral vision, caused by macular degeneration, for almost the last twenty years of her life, but she managed to continue working. (She died in 1986 at the age of 98.)
The reason I thought of Georgia O'Keeffe is because I learned from this video that one of her teachers did not believe in the method of copying the old masters to learn how to paint. (I'm sure some art historian out there can tell this story better than I can...) To paraphrase really badly, he told her that to create artwork that anybody could paint, is not art... that REAL art comes from your own vision... from within. I couldn't agree more.
One standard for judging art that I hear over and over again is "Wow, what a great painting, it looks just like a photograph!" In my opinion this is not a compliment. If that's the case, why not hang the darn photograph on the wall and done with it! In 1609 painting a scene as if it was real life was a worthy ambition. But in 2009 we have things called cameras for that! I love landscapes but I really don't care about an artist's technical ability to draw or paint a plant or a mountain (unless it's done to illustrate a technical publication, then please, make it look as realistic as possible.)
When I look at a landscape painting (or any kind of artwork) I am looking for the artist's own interpretation. Georgia O'Keeffe was certainly a master at that.
Lately I've been following Katherine Keane's journey through landscape painting. To call her works landscapes is probably a misnomer. "Mystical-scapes" would be a better description. Of that ouevre, I believe her latest painting, "Evening's Light Not Yet Gone," is her best. Although I have liked all her paintings in this series, some in the past have been somewhat dark and mysterious. (Or perhaps I was going through a dark, mysterious patch in my own life, trying to figure out some things about myself, and that's how I interpreted them.... but to me, that's what art is all about, the artist's take on life and then the viewer's take on what the artist is conveying... oh, it gets complicated!). One of the reasons I like Katherine's paintings is that they always tell a story... for me, they bring to mind some of Ray Bradbury's tales like "The October Country."
Anyway, the bottom line is I really love this new painting. I had the opportunity to admire it at the TAG show last night (which runs through January 31). This is no "photographic" painting. Katherine's emotion and personal style come through loud and clear. In the painting, I see the storm clouds clearing away. What was a cold, rainy, turbulent day has become a calm, peaceful setting with the sun breaking through just in time to shed some light and warmth on the scene before it disappears into the dark night. I have no idea what the artist intended, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
As an ending note, I must mention that I always enjoy the shows at TAG (see links above for more info). There were several other pieces that caught my attention and I woke up this morning thinking about them. But you will have to attend the show yourself and figure out which ones those are (they might surprise you, but you will never know for sure.............!).

3 comments:

  1. As people continue to live longer, the incidence of eye disease such as macular degeneration is on the rise. These types of debilitating eye diseases rob people of vision, and can result in individuals losing their independence.

    It is believed that the visual system requires up to 25% of the nutrients we take into our bodies in order to stay healthy. Impaired circulation and/or poor absorption of nutrients can significantly contribute to eye disease.

    There is a great deal of peer review research now showing the vision can be preserved through a proper diet and specific nutritional supplementation.

    Essential nutrients include lutein, zeaxanthin, omega-3 fatty acids, taurine, gingko biloba, lycopene, vitamin A, E, zinc, copper, selenium for example, that can help both prevent the onset of eye disease such as macular degeneration as well as help preserve vision for those with macular degeneration.

    For more information and specific research studies by eye condition on nutrition and vision, go to Natural Eye Care for Macular Degeneration

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your insight and acknowledgment. Your take on my take is very accurate! I couldn't be more pleased that you enjoyed the exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katherine:
    I revised the original post just a little. I was thinking I had not expressed myself properly about your work. Now I feel better! I look forward to seeing more of your "story paintings!"

    ReplyDelete