Saturday, January 24, 2009

Does This Make You Homesick? A friend and I saw the movie "Last Chance for Harvey" at the theater today. I liked it. The acting skills of Emma Thompson and Dustin Hoffman turned it from a predictable, schmaltsy, romantic comedy into something worthwhile. I would give it a 3.75 out of a possible 5. That's a pretty good rating from me. So go see it, or rent it!
I rarely go to the movies as I am madly in love with NetFlix where I can sit in the comfort of my own home, on my own sofa, with my 32-inch TV and nobody around me munching popcorn, rustling candy wrappers or TALKING! But as my initial plans fell through, then my secondary plans also didn't pan out, this seemed like an opportunity to spend some time, share an event, with somebody I don't see very often.
As the movie takes place in London, my friend asked, "Does this make you homesick?" The answer is yes and no. I actually love living in Culver City. Maybe one day I'll write about the hundreds of reasons why.
But there is a part of me that wonders what my life would be like if my parents had stayed in England instead of emigrating to the US. I didn't want to come here... both times. I was a child the first time, a teenager the second. My life was in England. To this very day I feel like a person without a country. Even though I've lived here all my adult life, when I'm here I'm English. When I am in England I'm American. You can't possibly understand if you haven't lived it and I no longer attempt or care to explain.
So, I enjoy looking at this Victorian tile in my collection that came from a house built in 1880, in Worthing, the last town we lived in before coming to America the first time.
In the 1700s Worthing became a popular seaside resort attracting wealthy and aristocratic visitors. I liked living there. Probably my favorite of all the many places we lived in England. Maybe it reminds me of Culver City in some ways. A small town but a lot of history. When we lived there I believe the population was about 70,000 whereas Culver City is currently around 45,000.
So I am always homesick for England. But when I am away from Culver City I'm homesick for this little town too. And, perhaps I'm fortunate that I can be homesick for two places!
You can see some of my other tiles at http://www.tilelove.com/.
Please support Wikipedia.
(photo copyright roslyn m wilkins)

No comments:

Post a Comment