Friday, January 27, 2012

Ceramic tiles that bend in the road

It's been almost three weeks since I was able to put any tiles in the kiln. Leading tours, being out of town on a business conference, and other duties have kept me separated from my paintbrush.


I have to say that these days, glazing tiles is my favorite thing to do and I actually resent anything that stands in my way, no matter how enjoyable it may be.


These four tiles came out of the kiln around January 5. They are truly a labor of love with many coats of glaze and four firings in the kiln in an attempt to get something I halfway liked. Out of desperation I finally decided to apply two coats of Cobblestone glaze, black on two and white on two. Back in the kiln one last time and voila! It worked.


These were originally painted to fit together in a four-tile frame, but I prefer them each in their individual frames.

I am calling the series Bends in the Road. 4.125" tiles. 6.125" framed.

(Photos and designs copyright roslyn m wilkins)

2 comments:

  1. I'm LOVING these abstract tiles! They are so intricate, yet all so complimentary to one another! More, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane.... I have to admit I am loving glazing these tiles too.... it's a real partnership between me and the kiln.... we each do our part.

      Delete