Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Puppy Bowl (and other ceramics)
My friend KJ tells me that, yes, there is a Puppy Bowl (on Animal Planet, of course) on Super Bowl Sunday with cat cheerleaders at halftime. How could I make this stuff up?
I was at her house on SB Sunday to admire her tile and mosaic work at the entrance to her house. A really super job.
But our mission on this day was to visit the 65th Scripps Ceramic Annual exhibit at the Ruth Chandler Williamson Gallery in Claremont.
It was a splendid sunny southern California day for the first day of February, and with four brand new tires on my car gripping the road, a great day for the hour or so drive out there from her house to the little town at the foot of Mt. Baldy. We could see just a dusting of snow still at the cap. I was reminded of my trek up to the top 25 years ago in heavy snow and ice with pretty much white-out conditions when we reached the summit and could not imagine attempting such a hike today, or even wanting to!
The Williamson is a nice little gallery. The exhibit was small. I knew it was going to be contemporary ceramic art, and we all know the problems I have with anything labeled "contemporary" and I was not disappointed. So I won't go into all of that again. Let's just say it wasn't my cup of tea. We looked at some of the catalogs from previous years and personally, I would have preferred to see one of those exhibits. Maybe I'll take another shot next year.
But one of the works did fascinate me, if not in the way the artist probably intended. A series of shovels made with "human bone china." My aunt and uncle who recently passed away donated their bodies to science. So I wondered, did the people who ended up on this wall know they were going to be part of an art exhibit when they died? And how do you go about donating your body to art? And can you specify the work of art you want to be?
I thought about the pickled sheep at BCAM at LACMA. I would not want to end up in a tank of formaldehide for the whole world to see. But I wouldn't mind being turned into a beautiful bone china teapot used for elegant tea parties at some rich lady's mansion. Or maybe as part of a sculpture in a park where families come to sit at my feet with their picnics. As I like functional art more than anything, it would be nice to know I would be useful as well as decorative when I am gone.
But in the meantime, before I give up this body for some higher purpose, I am in need of it to take me to more art exhibits and galleries!

No comments:

Post a Comment