Thursday, February 26, 2009

An Old Friend Revisited
How long has it been since I visited Descanso Gardens in La Canada? I don't even remember. My friend KJ was taking her elderly friend (89) on an outing and I decided to go along. (Just FYI, they have wheelchairs available if you get there early enough).
I figured it would be a nice walk in the park looking at the flowers. But not so, it was much more. The gardens are lovely. The camellias are in bloom. The old, craggly trees are magnificent.
I didn't expect to find an art exhibit... in the carriage house... displaying the work of three artists. Some of the paintings by Rut Eneberg and Karen Sill were very good. But I loved the ceramics by Miriam Balcazar. A treat indeed. I believe this exhibit runs through March 5.
The next surprise was being able to enter the Boddy House, built by the publisher of the Los Angeles Daily News in the 1930s. It was refurbished in 2007 as a Pasadena Showcase House. The beautifully remodeled kitchen is about as big as my condo!
The icing on the cake was when we came back to KJ's house there was a yard sale down the street. I acquired a brightly painted metal gecko which now adorns my bathroom wall... oh joy! (Photos copyright roslyn m wilkins)

4 comments:

  1. That's a nice photo of Descanso. Lucky you to acquire such a great gecko so serendipitously!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And members at Descanso Gardens can get in one hour earlier than the general public. It's great for early morning walks! Geckos are cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katherine: There is some great material at Descanso for one of your masterpieces.... a meandering path disappearing into a stand of mysterious, mystical trees... {:>)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe:
    Having not been to Descanso in so many years I suggested the gardens as a field trip to my art group, so I'll be returning in a couple of weeks! Looking forward to seeing some different flowers in bloom.

    ReplyDelete