Monday, February 16, 2009

Robbing the Heart Sunday night BG, MK and I visited the Unitarian Universalist Community Church of Santa Monica to attend the art reception for our mutual friend Lucy Blake-Elahi. She was exhibiting works from three different series:
Come Here…Go Away!, hand-colored Drypoint and monotype prints whose subject matter is “relationships”, The Burden of Unused Wings, small prints lamenting opportunities missed and Robbing the Heart, a few of the smaller pieces from a larger body of work referencing the looting of the Iraq Museum.
When I do attend church (about once a year on the Day of the Dead) this is where I go. And the previous minister, the Reverend Ernie Pipes, presided over my long-ago and long-gone wedding. Ah, memories!
Forbes Hall is a nice little space for an art show. And good advertising for the church, too. I like to support local artists (and my artist friends) as much as possible. Although this show was in Santa Monica there were quite a few people I knew from Culver City in attendance. How great is that when you walk into a space where art is the focus and there are many people you know!
I especially enjoyed Lucy's discussion of her art and the history behind it. You can tell she loves to teach.
And I met an interesting lady who engages Nepalese artists to paint pet portraits on metal.
Another great art day!
(Photo copyright roslyn m wilkins)

No comments:

Post a Comment