Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Private Life of a Masterpiece
I just finished viewing this DVD, "The Private Life of a Masterpiece, Masterpieces 1851 to 1900," disc four of a series. The three paintings on this DVD are Edouard Manet's "Le Dejeuner sur L'Herbe," James Whistler's "Portrait of the Artist's Mother" and Edvard Munch's "The Scream."
All three of these works of art have become somewhat cliches in our culture but now that I understand their stories I will never encounter these paintings the same way again.
This series reminds me in some ways of Simon Schama's "Power of Art" (a series I really must see again) in that the tale of the artist and the time period is told by the specific painting.
I played this DVD twice to make sure I didn't miss anything... now I can't wait to see the other discs in this series. I will say no more. Rent it!

http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/privatelifemasterpiece.php
The above link seems to give a pretty good in-depth review of the series (including a rebuttal)should you be interested, although I did not read the whole thing!

1 comment: